Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Thyroid Cancer - Synthetic Hormones Don't Work!

I visited my Naturopathic doctor on February 6, 2006. We discussed why there seemed to be so much negative feedback from the endocrinologists regarding Armour and neither of us could come up with any reasons- even through our research. My ND decided to speak with a biochemist friend of his. The response was not what I wanted to hear. He stated that this man had determined that if a patient was suffering from an autoimmune disease then they should not ingest any form of glandular products as this may initiate an immune attack thus forming another cancer – usually in the colon. After some talking he and I decided that I would try the Synthroid / Cytomel combination that my endocrinologist had suggested and see if I felt any better. I was not excited to do this because I had begun to feel better than I had in years while taking the Armour but the thought of another form of cancer concerned me too. So I started the next day on .150 mgs Synthroid and 50 mgs of Cytomel.

My trip back into synthetic hormones was nothing short of a nightmare. I went off Armour for 1 1/2 weeks and on the Synthetics. I FELT AWFUL!!! Within 3 days my body ached as did my joints. I could hardly go up and down the stairs in my house without extreme pain. I felt so bad that I stood in my kitchen (3 days after starting on it) and cried wondering how I could live like this. I had to have my children go up and down the stairs to get things for me. I continued to stay on it for 10 days and then one morning I had just completed my workout and realized I needed to go downstairs to the freezer. I started down the stairs and I got so dizzy that I lost my balance and fell 3/4 of the way down and hurt my back. I sat on the stairs and cried, asking God to show me what I should do. An incredible peace came over me and I just felt like I needed to go back on the Armour despite my ND’s concerns (and mine for that matter) - which no one could validate scientifically and I was tired of “guessing” about what was the right thing to do. On that very day, I saw my ND who is also a chiropractor and he checked my ears to discover they had filled up with fluid.

After being back on Armour for 1 week my brain fog cleared up and I was starting to be a happier person. My joints still ached a bit but not nearly as bad as they had on the synthetic combo. After 1 week back on Armour I saw my ND and one of my ears was clear again and the other was much better. I was pleased with my progress in just 1 week. I looked forward to what was to come for the first time in 6 years.

My Final Post ..... The Ending of a Journey

It is a very strange feeling to be writing this post.  It will be the last update that I post to this blog.  The blog itself will remain up ...